Frequently asked Questions

For all complaints except food borne illness/food poisoning, the Environmental Management Department utilizes Sacramento County 311 Connect​ at 916-875-4311 or 311. 

Hours for the Information Center are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., or you may report your concern on-line.

All food borne illness/food poisoning complaints should be called in at 916-875-8440.

Mail should be directed to:

Sacramento County
Environmental Management Department
11080 White Rock Rd., Suite 200
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

All complaints are handled in strict confidence for the protection of the complainant. Please be prepared to give us the specific nature of the complaint, where it occurred (e.g., name and address of business), when it occurred, and who was involved. You must also be prepared to leave your name and phone number in case additional information is needed to properly investigate the complaint and to provide you with a response.

Sacramento County provides the 311 Connect website and phone number for the convenience of County residents so they have one number to contact for many types of complaints and information requests. Complaints about hazardous material spills, illegal dumping, excessive trash, public pools, sewage, pest/vermin infestation, etc. should be called into Sacramento County 311 Connect at 916-875-4311 or 311. You can also initiate a complaint service request on-line. The complaint is then routed to the appropriate County Department for action.

There are some exceptions: Suspected cases of food poisoning, or food-borne illness, should be called directly into the Environmental Health division at 916-875-8440. EMD is the agency responsible for handling food and food-borne illness complaints for all of Sacramento County, including incorporated city areas.

Sacramento County 311 Connect services the Sacramento County Unincorporated Area; complaints about areas contained within incorporated cities in Sacramento County should be directed to the appropriate city government department. For more information visit the 311 Connect website. Links to the web sites for incorporated cities within Sacramento County are also found on the EMD Links page.