Sign up to receive Water (Wells, Septic, Cross Connection,
Small Water Systems, Recycled Water, Stormwater) latest information
The Environmental Management Department Liquid Waste Program
oversees the following activities throughout the County of Sacramento:
- Design, construction, and installation of on-site wastewater treatment
systems and wastewater holding tanks.
- Businesses and vehicles engaged in the cleaning of septic tanks, portable
toilets, and wastewater holding tanks.
- On-site wastewater processing and or treatment facilities
Installing an on-site wastewater treatment
system (septic system) within Sacramento County
The type of system your parcel will require depends primarily on where the
parcel is located. The most frequently installed system is the standard pit
system. This type of system is used in areas where it has been determined that
the system would be less likely to degrade groundwater quality, and the soil
conditions are such that effluent will be more readily absorbed into the pit
area. If your parcel is in an area where the water table is high, or soil
conditions are poor, a shallow leach field or deep trench type disposal field
may be required.
There are cases where it is not possible to install any of the above
systems. In these situations, an engineered or alternative system, designed by
a registered professional, will be required. Registered professionals include
Registered Environmental Health Specialists, Civil Engineers, or professional
Regardless of the system that is installed on your parcel, it is important
that the septic tank be approved for use in Sacramento County.
You may notice that the regulations for septic systems vary from county to
county. The regulations for Sacramento County are dictated by the geology of
the region where the system is installed.
Environmental Compliance Staff:
- Issue permits
- Inspect installation of septic systems
- Review engineering/Percolation test documents
- Approve plot plans as part of the building permit issuance process
- Maintain a database that includes information on permitted septic systems in
- Respond to complaints relating to surfacing sewage and/or septic system
Forms, Documents & Applications
Sacramento County Environmental Management
Environmental Compliance Division
11080 White Rock Rd., Suite 200
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670