Plan Review Food Facilities & Public Pools & Spas

Frequently Asked Questions

You need to submit plans for new food and pool construction and for any remodeled facilities or if there are proposed changes in the type of operation. Plans must be submitted before any construction or remodeling begins.

Please contact the Environmental Health Plan Review program directly at 916-874-6010 for more information.

The fee varies with the type of facility. Please see our current Environmental Health fee schedule.​

No. Payment for the first annual permit fee will be billed after your establishment is permitted with a health permit.

You can now view the status of Plan Review projects on MyHD Portal. Use Show Details feature to track the status of the project as it gets completed.  MyHD Portal​

Requirements vary based on the scope of the remodel. If you have an existing facility it is recommended that you speak to the Environmental Health Specialist assigned to your area. 

The specialist can assist you with the process. Call 916-875-8440 to contact the Environmental Health specialist assigned to you.

All equipment must be in place and functioning, including the hot water heater. The facility must be clean and a hood balance test, if a hood is present, must have been completed. 

Contact your Environmental Health District Specialist at 916-875-8440 at least two days in advance to schedule the final inspection.

Check the telephone Yellow Pages under Heating and Ventilating (HVAC) Contractors.

Some ovens do not require exhaust hoods. Contact our Plan Review staff at 916-874-6010 and speak directly to one of our plan review staff - please provide the make and model of the proposed equipment, if available, and we can check our files for approval notices.

The floor sink must be accessible for cleaning, but you should speak to your local plumbing inspector for height requirements above the finished floor to ensure it is installed in accordance with the Uniform Plumbing Code. 

Check with the Uniform Plumbing Code and your local building department for specific rules and regulations.