Underground Storage Tanks

Frequently Asked Questions

Go to the GeoTracker database at the California State Water Resources Control Board, or review the Haz​ardous Materials Consultant and Contractor list

You may also request to review a file by contacting this office at 916-875-8550 and you can hire an environmental consultant found in the Yellow Pages under Environmental and Ecological Services.

You may contact this office at (916) 875-8550 for an appointment. Appointments are required to allow staff to pull files and to review them for confidential information that cannot be legally released to the public.

If the applicant submits sufficient information, we can approve most closure permits within two weeks. The Plan review for tank installation will take at least three weeks or may take longer depending upon the quality of the plans and information submitted by the applicant.

Please Note!  Missing information and incomplete plans will cause delays to the review and processing of a permit to close, install, modify, or repair an underground storage tank system. Please see the EMD UST Install/Construction/Repair page for more information.

Environmental contractors and environmental consultants are found in the Yellow Pages of the telephone book under Environmental and Ecological Services.

Sacramento County maintains a list of contractors and consultants who have submitted their qualifications to us. Sacramento County does not endorse any contractor or consultants that have provided information on their services. See Hazardous Materials Cons​ultant and Contractor list.​