Determine If I Need A Permit

Most of the Environmental Management Department's programs require either an operating permit or registration. The following is a list of the most common business activities that require a permit:

  • Selling food to the public (includes food facilities, mobile food trucks & carts, catering and community events (temporary food facilities) and Cottage Food Operations (Selling food made at home.) 
  • Handling or generating hazardous materials above minimum amounts 
    • Please see CUPA for permit information 
  • Septic system construction, repair or destruction/closure 
  • Well construction, repair or destruction/closure 
    • Please see Wells for permit information 
  • Underground storage tank (UST) construction, repair or removal 
  • Generating medical waste 
  • Tattoo or body art services
  • Operate a public (non-private) pool or spa 

County of Sacramento
Environmental Management Department
10590 Armstrong Ave.
Mather, CA 95655-4153

General Information: 916-875-8484